Elevator Safety at the Stewart Lee Udall Building
The elevator operation and safety record at the Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building is excellent. The Branch of Building Operations maintains a rigorous maintenance program, with periodic testing and inspections performed by licensed elevator inspectors under contract with the U.S. General Services Administration. The elevator contractor is on duty from 6:00am until 6:00pm each government workday. Should an emergency arise outside of these hours, the elevator contractor is required to respond and be on-site within one (1) hour of notification.
Please review the following procedures, which outline the proper steps to take in the event you become entrapped in an elevator. These procedures are located on a placard affixed to each elevator car. See the placard here.
- First (and most importantly), try to remain calm.
- Do not attempt to pry the doors open and/or exit the elevator car. Though being entrapped on an elevator is an unnerving experience, it is much safer to remain in the car and wait for emergency response personnel to respond.
- All elevators in the building have an Emergency Telephone Call Button built into their control panels. When the button is pressed, you are placed in contact with the building’s Security Operations Center. The Call Button can be identified with a Å symbol. View the Call Button here. Do not use the red telephones, which are located in the passenger elevators, as these are only for use by fire department personnel during an emergency.
- When you call from the elevators, you will be asked to provide the elevator car number, which is posted inside of the elevator cab. If possible, provide the approximate location of the elevator car (e.g., between the 4th and 5th floors).
- When you have reported the problem to the proper authority, please discontinue any unnecessary use of the Call Button. It may be necessary for emergency response personnel to call you to give specific instructions.
- In the rare event the Elevator Telephone Call Button does not work, press the Alarm Button located on the elevator control panel, indicated by a % symbol. View the Alarm Button here. An audible alarm will ring until the button is released.
- Call 911 if you are injured, experiencing a medical emergency, or unable to reach the Security Operations Center.
The Security Operations Center can be reached via telephone at (202) 208-5803. It is recommended that you save the telephone number in your mobile phone in case of emergency.
All questions and concerns regarding elevator operation and safety can be addressed by the OFAS Facilities Service Desk through the administrative contact for your bureau or office.
Phone: (202) 208-2222