International Travel Guidance for DOI Employees

Official Travel Requirements

General travel guidelines for DOI employees can be found in the
Departmental Manual, specifically 347 DM. Additional guidance for international
travel can be found on this page or by contacting your bureau's international travel
coordinator (see table below). DOI employees traveling for the International Technical Assistance program should review the process detailed here and visit the ITAP page for additional information.

All DOI Employees must have the following documents prior to

Travel Authorization: A Travel Authorization (DI-1020) is required for each international
trip. Blanket TAs are not allowed for international travel. Each Assistant
Secretary determines who signs the TA for their office and Bureaus. The TA is
not signed nor reviewed by the Department.

Foreign Travel Certification: The Department's Foreign Travel
Certification Form (DI-1175)
is required for each international trip, except for Canada and trips that do not
involve an overnight stay
. (Note: this requirement includes the freely
associated States of the Republic of Palau, the Republic of the Marshall
Islands and the Federated States of Micronesia, but not U.S. territories.) Each
Assistant Secretary determines who signs the DI-1175 for their offices and
Bureaus. For trips to Canada and trips that do not involve an overnight stay, a
DI-1175 may still be required for internal bureau control purposes; communicate
with bureau international offices if the need arises. All travel that does not
require an approved/signed DI-1175
an approved Travel Authorization should
be provided to the Passport Office in order for the traveler to be provided
their official passport.

The DI-1175 also
must be approved by the Department via the Office of International Affairs. USGS travelers should contact their
bureau's International Programs Office for guidance on submitting the DI-1175
to the Department. Non-USGS travelers
must request OIA approval through the OIA
SharePoint site

U.S. Embassy Approval: Requests for embassy approval can be made by a bureau's International Office or
by the traveler themselves via the State Department's eCountry Clearance website.
Please check with your bureau representative to determine if you are
responsible for submitting the clearance. Employees in the Office of the
Secretary are responsible for submitting their own clearance.

It is highly recommended that travelers check the most recent
State Department warnings and alerts to learn about security risks for American
travelers in a given country. Travel warnings and alerts can be found at
also suggests that travelers register for in the
Traveler Enrollment Program

Official U.S. Government
Employees traveling internationally on government business are
required to travel on official passports (and visas as required). DOI
employees (except for USGS and BOR) whose positions require international
travel must apply for and obtain their official government passports through
the Passport and Visa Division of the Department's Office of International
Affairs (OIA). Bureau employees should submit a request for issuance of a
passport through their Bureau International Travel Coordinator.Employees of the Office of the Secretary or
PMB seeking an official passport may contact
OIA's Passport and Visa Division directly at Please submit
applications at least 4-6 weeks in advance of travel to the OIA's
Passport and Visa Division, to allow time for processing by the State
Department's passport office. Passports can be requested using this form and a
DI-117/TA (as applicable).
USGS and BOR International
Offices can obtain passports and visas for their employees. Normally, an
official passport must be valid for six months after your
date of travel, as many countries will not accept passports that are near

General Notes:

Please note that
bureau employees must work with their bureau's International Office
Travel Contacts to process all of the documents listed above according to
their bureau's policy.
Office of the Secretary and PMB Employees should
contact the DOI Office of International Affairs.

DOI employees traveling for the International
Technical Assistance Program: The ITAP travel process of DOI employees is detailed here, and forms and instructions for ITAP travel can be found on DOI-ITAP's travel page.

Travel Regulations of Particular Concern to Foreign Travel

All DOI employees must follow U.S. Government
Regulations regarding foreign travel, which require the use of U.S. owned
airlines to and from the continental U.S., regulate when different classes of
travel are permitted, and define when layovers for travel are allowed.

All DOI employees are required to make foreign
travel arrangements through the DOI-approved travel system. They cannot be
arranged outside of the contracted providers nor paid for with a personal
credit card. Use of the travel system will assure compliance with federal
official travel regulations.

Note that country clearances, passports, and visas may take several
weeks to process. Travelers should initiate necessary action as early as

Department and Bureau International Travel Contacts

Bureau Contact Email Telephone
BIA Eric Wilson, International Affairs Coordinator 202-501-5944
BLM Colin Strylowski, International Affairs Specialist 202-912-7257
BOR Kendra Russell 202-513-0560
Douglas Olleman 202-513-0578
Latosha Jackson 703-358-2418
Jolyn Hopson 703-358-2411
BSEE Julie Fleming, Acting Chief, Office of International Programs 703-787-1681
NPS Rudy D'Alessandro, International Cooperation Specialist 202-354-1805
BOEM Emily Lindow, Chief of Staff, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management 202-513-0825
OSMRE Sterling Rideout 202-208-2868
USGS Kevin Kunkel, Director of International Programs 703-648-6206
ONRR Jennifer Goldblatt, Chief of Staff, Office of Natural Resources Revenue 202-513-0604
OS/PMB Karen Senhadji 202-208-5479
DOI Passports and Visas
Corinthia Stewart & Tiffany Cephas 202-208-5292


Federal Travel Regulations regarding Class of Travel and Fly America requirements

State Department per diems for overseas travel

State Department telephone directory

Travel warnings, advisories, and entry requirements

For changes to this guidance, please contact Karen Senhadji. Updated February 2015.