Under the Indian Arts and Crafts Act all American Indian and Alaska Native art and craft products must be marketed truthfully regarding the Native American heritage and tribal affiliation of the artist or craftsperson.
Shop Wisely - Tips for Buying
1) When purchasing from a dealer, choose one with a good reputation
2) Request a written guarantee or written verification of authenticity
3) Get a receipt that includes all the vital information about your purchase, including price, maker, and maker's Tribal affiliation
4) Familiarize yourself with different materials and types of American Indian arts and crafts, as well as the indicators of a well-made, handcrafted piece
5) Realize that authentic handmade pieces may be expensive. If a price seems too good to be true, be sure to ask more questions about the item and its maker