Veterans' Preference in hiring applies to permanent and temporary positions in the competitive and excepted service. Veterans' Preference does not guarantee employment, however it provides employment preference for eligible veterans and disabled veterans. To learn more about Veterans' Preference, please visit Feds Hire Vets for more information.
Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans
Special hiring authorities enable managers to bring qualified Veterans to the workforce and speed the selection process. Like Veterans Preference, these authorities do not guarantee employment, but offer a resource to quickly hire eligible and qualified Veterans. Feds Hire Vets has a detailed explanation of all the available hiring authorities available to veterans.
- Department of Veterans Affairs Compensated Work Therapy is a program that develops an individualized rehabilitation plan for each veteran and place them back into various competitive positions.
- Employer Partnership of the Armed Forces (EPO) is a program sponsored by the Office of the Chief Army Reserve and a partner of the Department of the Interior. The Employer Partnership of the Armed Forces's mission is to match America's employers to the best employees available. There is also individualized assistance from the Program Support Managers who do not only assist in finding employment, but work with the Service Members to refine their application for employment, resume writing, and interviewing skills.
- Operation Warfighter Program, managed by the Department of Defense, offers temporary military detail assignments for recuperating Service Members. The Operation Warfighter Brochure provides a short overview of the program and what type of services are offered to wounded Service Members.
- Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs.
- Wounded Warrior Programs are designed to assist severely wounded soldiers, Veterans, and their families. Resources are available to help prepare candidates reintegrate into the civilian workforce. The following list is a directory to the programs specific for branches of the military:
- Department of Defense Transition Assistance Program (DoD TAP) is an all-encompassing tool for veterans who are returning to civilian life. It includes a career decision toolkit, transition guides and other information about benefits and employment.
- Department of Labor Veterans' Employment & Training Service
- Feds Hire Vets is your single site for Federal employment information for Veterans, transitioning military service members, their families, and Federal hiring officials.
- Mil2FedJobs is a tool that translates military occupations to federal jobs through a database search. It is also connected to USAJobs.gov, allowing the potential applicant to see if the job is vacant.
- Military Spouse Employment Partnership (MSEP) connects military spouses with hundreds of partner employers who have committed to recruit, hire, promote and retain military spouses.
- National Resource Directory is a searchable database of resources vetted for Service members, veterans, family members and caregivers.
- Office of Personnel Management expands opportunities to hire and retain veterans, transitioning military service members and their families who have the experience, skills and competences the Federal Government needs.
- USAJOBS provides resources for veteran-specific hiring options.
- VA for Vets is managed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and offers a comprehensive toolkit for veterans with tips on job applications, resumes, and conducting the ideal interview. Other resources include, job listings and information about upcoming job fairs.
Contact us for more information, advice, or assistance
Human Resources Specialist
Office of Human Capital