Managers and HR Professionals Toolkit
The information and links on this page assist hiring managers and human resource professionals to understand special hiring authorities, becoming aware of veteran employment programs, answering veteran hiring/employment questions and developing a network of veteran employment partners. Hiring managers and HR professionals can use these resources to identify and non-competitively hire qualified veterans.
- Feds Hire Vets has complied information distinctly for hiring managers and human resources professionals. Information for hiring managers includes: why to hire Veterans, special hiring authorities associated with hiring Veterans, and videos supporting Veteran employment. Information for human resources professionals includes: Statues & Regulations, Disabled Veterans Affirmative Action Program (DVAAP), and "Things HR Should Remember."
- Find your DOI Bureau Coordinator.
- Department of Veterans Affairs's VetSuccess is an all-inclusive resource for employers. The site includes information about Partners and Small Businesses and information about Vocational Educational Counseling that could be useful when hiring a veteran who qualifies for that service.
- Department of Veterans Affairs Compensated Work Therapy (CWT) is a program sponsored by the Department of Veterans Affairs. The CWT is a national vocational rehabilitation program that assists veterans in returning to competitive employment.
- Veterans with Service-connected disabilities in the workplace and the Americans with disabilities act (ADA) is a guide from the U.S. Equal Opportunity Commission concerning disabled Veterans.
- Department of Labor VETS is an extensive resource directory of information for both employers of Veterans. It includes information about USERRA, how to find qualified Veterans, and various other programs.
- The Disabled Veteran Outreach Program (DVOP) and Local Veteran Employment Representatives (LVER) assist organizations to find employment-ready, qualified veterans. Developing a network that includes these resources will help you find non-competitive eligible and other veteran candidates. The DVOP/LVER Locator is provided by the National Veterans' Training Institute. The locator is a large database searchable by last name, city, state, and zip code.
- Find Qualified Vets with CareerOneStop.org, a Department of Labor-sponsored tool to help employers find qualified Vets through Veterans staffing assistance in your local area.
- The Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program is a national employment resource for employers. The VR&E resources include On the Job Training Programs that allow employers to hire veterans at apprentice wages and the Non-Paid Work Experience Program. Each state/region has a VR&E Employment Coordinator that can assist hiring managers with placing veterans in internships, non-paid work-experience, and career opportunities. Employment Coordinators maintain a high potential candidate pool of veterans and will work with organizations to ensure veterans are being trained to meet local needs.
- Federal hiring managers can participate in Operation Warfighter (OWF), a Federal internship program for wounded, ill, and injured Service-members. Managers can participate by offering opportunities to transitioning service members at no cost to the organization. Use this Interactive Map to locate an OWF Regional POC near you.
- America's Heroes at Work is the Department of Labor's toolkit for managers both within the private and public sectors. This toolkit is extensive and it covers the entire process of veteran employment. The information is also helpful in the employment of veterans with traumatic brain injury (TBI) and/or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Veterans Hiring Toolkit is the Department of Veterans Affair's toolkit for employers, managers, supervisors, human resource professionals, and employee assistance program (EAP) providers. In this toolkit, you'll have access to resources and learn how to support employees who are Veterans or members of the Reserve or National Guard in the workplace.