Natural Resource Damage Assessment - Early Restoration

In 2011, one year after the oil spill, BP committed to make $1 billion available before the settlement was reached. Through this Early Restoration effort, the Trustees approved five early restoration plans and 64 projects with a combined estimated cost of $776.44 million. The Department of the Interior is the implementing trustee for eleven approved early restoration Projects. 

Early Restoration Plans and Executive Summaries

Early Restoration Plan I

Early Restoration Plan I: This plan contains eight approved projects, including two oyster projects (Louisiana and Mississippi), two marsh projects (Louisiana and Alabama), a nearshore artificial reef project (Mississippi), two dune projects (Florida and Alabama), and a boat ramp enhancement project (Florida). 

Early Restoration Plan I Executive Summary

Early Restoration Plan II

Early Restoration Plan II: This plan contains two approved projects - one for beach-nesting birds in the Florida Panhandle, Alabama, and Mississippi, and one for beach nesting sea turtles in Florida and Alabama. The costs of the projects are $4,658,118 and $4,321,165, respectively. 

Early Restoration Plan II Executive Summary

Programmatic and Phase III Early Restoration Plan

Programmatic and Phase III Early Restoration Plan: The Phase III Early Restoration plan includes 44 approved projects with a combined estimated cost of $627 million. Ecological projects comprise $396.9 million (63%) of this total; recreational projects comprise the remaining $230 million (37%). Within the ecological project category, barrier island restoration and dune projects account for $319 million of estimated project costs, followed by living shoreline ($66.6 million), oyster ($8.6 million), and seagrasses ($2.7 million).

Early Restoration Plan III: Programmatic Damage and Restoration Plan Executive Summary

Early Restoration Plan IV

Early Restoration Plan IV: This plan contains 10 approved projects located across the Gulf, two for birds, one for oysters, two for shoreline protection, one each for for sea turtles and finfish and shellfish, one for submerged aquatic vegetation, and two for public access and recreation. The total estimated cost of the projects is $133.68 million.

Early Restoration Plan IV Executive Summary

Early Restoration Plan V

Early Restoration Plan V:  This plan includes one project, the first phase of the Florida Coastal Access Project. The first phase involves the acquisition and/or enhancement of four coastal project locations in the Florida Panhandle. The primary goal of the project is to enhance the public's access to the surrounding natural resources and increase recreational opportunities. The Phase V.2 Restoration Plan, includes acquisition and enhancement of recreational amenities at Salinas Park in the Florida Panhandle. The Phase V.3 Florida Coastal Access Project Final Restoration Plan includes acquisition of a coastal parcel of land, the Navarre Beach Marine Park Addition. The Phase V.4 Coastal Access Project Final Restoration Plan includes one approved project - acquisition of a parcel adjacent to St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge.

Early Restoration Plan V Executive Summary

 

 

 

 

Was this page helpful?

Please provide a comment