DOINews: NPS-U.S. Park Police: Navy Yard Shooting

Last edited 09/05/2019

U.S. Park Police badge: Integrity, Honor, Service Since 1791

On Sept. 16, 2013, at approximately 0815 hours, something that has become far too common struck Washington, D.C., an active shooter. Aaron Alexis walked into Building 197 on the Washington Navy Yard, located in S.E. Washington, D.C., and began shooting innocent people. Within seven minutes of the first shots being fired, the Washington, D.C., Metropolitan Police Department, and the United States Park Police had officers in active-shooter teams assembled and going into Building 197 to stop Alexis' senseless killing spree.

The USPP Helicopter, Eagle 1 was already flying over the Navy Yard piloted by Sgt. Ken Burchell with rescue technician/paramedics, Sgt. David Tolson, Ofc. Michael Abate and MPD K-9 Ofc. Kelvin Dyson aboard.

The active shooter team made up of MPD and USPP located Alexis and engaged him in a gun battle where ultimately he was stopped. Unfortunately during the gun battle an MPD officer suffered serious gunshot wounds to his legs. The MPD officer was transported to a local hospital and later was listed in good condition.

At the end of the incident, tragically 13 people were dead, 12 of them innocent victims who just reported for work on a Monday morning. Another eight people were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

During the incident USPP Eagle 1 transported a gunshot victim to the hospital and extracted three other subjects from the rooftop, inserted two USPP SWAT team members and provided flyover watch and intelligence to the ground units.

USPP Eagle 3 was also up in the air, piloted by Ofc. Jonathon Lindley with Sgt. Timothy Ryan as rescue technician/paramedic who provided flyover watch and intelligence to ground units.

The USPP Command staff immediately established a command center for the Navy Yard incident at USPP Headquarters.

During the Navy Yard incident there were numerous other law enforcement agencies that responded, provided support and assistance. This was truly a collaborative effort at its best during the worst possible scenario.

The men and women of the USPP once again performed to the highest expectations during a horrific situation. Without a doubt the actions of the first responders saved countless lives.

Submitted by: Sgt. Paul Brooks, public information officer, USPP, NPS, Washington, D.C.
Sept. 24, 2013

Important Link:

NPS-U.S. Park Police

Was this page helpful?

Please provide a comment