Located 2,600 miles southwest of Hawaii, the National Park of American Samoa is the most remote unit of the National Park System and the U.S. National Park south of the Equator. The Park spreads across three islands, 9,500 acres of tropical rainforest, and 4,000 acres of ocean, including coral reefs. While remote, the islands of American Samoa, true to the meaning of the word Samoa (Islands of Sacred Earth), are welcoming and offer beautiful landscapes and centuries of culture and history.
Seasoned backpacker and adventurer Yang Lu earned the grand prize in the 2015 Share the Experience photo contest with this image of a sunburst captured at sunrise in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Utah. Yang has made the outdoors part of his daily life and finds deep connection to the land through his lens.
“My photography is not just for recreation, it is to inspire people to explore these areas." -- Yang Lu
Photo by Yang Lu (www.sharetheexperience.org).
The plantings of cherry trees originated in 1912 as a gift of friendship to the People of the United States from the People of Japan. In Japan, the flowering cherry tree, or "Sakura," is an exalted flowering plant. The beauty of the cherry blossom is a potent symbol equated with the evanescence of human life and epitomizes the transformation of Japanese culture throughout the ages.
Below is the weekly list of Items of Interest to the Department of the Interior. This list includes items appearing in the during the week of October 14-18, 2013. If you have any questions or wish to receive full-text copies of any of the items on this list, please contact Interior Library by phone at (202) 208-5815, e-mail at email@example.com, or in person or by mail at 1849 C Street, NW, MS 1151, Washington, DC 20240.
OCTOBER 14, 2013
OCTOBER 15, 2013
OCTOBER 16, 2013
1. 78 FR 62317, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), [Docket No. PF13-17-000], Clarksville Gas and Water, ACTION: Notice of Intent To Prepare an Environmental Assessment for the Planned Interconnect Pipeline Project, Request for Comments on Environmental Issues, and Notice of Public Scoping Meeting.
2. 78 FR 62319, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), [Docket No. PF13-14-000], Golden Pass Products, LLC, Golden Pass Pipeline, LLC, ACTION: Notice of Intent To Prepare an Environmental Assessment for the Planned Golden Pass LNG Export Project and Golden Pass Export Pipeline Project, Request for Comments on Environmental Issues, and Notice of Public Scoping Meeting.
3. 78 FR 62322, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), [Docket No. AD13-9-000], Hydropower Regulatory Efficiency Act of 2013, ACTION: Notice of Rescheduled Two-Year Licensing Process Workshop.
OCTOBER 17, 2013
OCTOBER 18, 2013
4. 78 FR 62337, Presidential Documents, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, Proclamation 9041 of October 11, 2013, Title 3-- The President Columbus Day, 2013 By the President of the United States of America, A Proclamation.
5. 78 FR 62347, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), [Project No. 2387-002], The City of Holyoke Gas & Electric Department, ACTION: Notice of Intent To File License Application, Filing of Pre-Application Document, and Approving Use of the Traditional Licensing Process.