Mount Rushmore National Memorial under construction.
The workers had to endure conditions that varied from blazing hot to bitterly cold and windy. Each day they climbed 700 stairs to the top of the mountain to punch-in on the time clock. Then 3/8 inch thick steel cables lowered them over the front of the 500-foot face of the mountain in a "bosun chair." Despite the dangers, no one was killed during the project.
Otters in Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve, Alaska.
The sea otter population of Glacier Bay has increased dramatically in the past 20 years. Ecologists consider sea otters a keystone species here. Otters consume vast quantities of clams, urchins, crabs, and other invertebrates and their presence creates ripples through the ecosystem. NPS photo.
Every day someone like you becomes a wildland wildfire fighter, a teacher, a trail-builder, a museum curator, or a park ranger. Discover your opportunities in national parks. Come to play. Come to learn. Come to serve. Develop your environmental leadership skills. Find a job. Be the next generation to preserve and protect these great places.
With more than 80% of Americans living in urban areas, urban parks are more important than ever. The father of American landscape architecture, Frederick Law Olmsted, said of urban parks:
It is one great purpose of the Park to supply to the hundreds of thousands of tired workers, who have no opportunity to spend their summers in the country, a specimen of God's handiwork that shall be to them, inexpensively, what a month or two in the White Mountains or the Adirondacks is, at great cost, to those in easier circumstances.
Below is the weekly list of Items of Interest to the Department of the Interior. This list includes items appearing in the during the week of October 14-18, 2013. If you have any questions or wish to receive full-text copies of any of the items on this list, please contact Interior Library by phone at (202) 208-5815, e-mail at email@example.com, or in person or by mail at 1849 C Street, NW, MS 1151, Washington, DC 20240.
OCTOBER 14, 2013
OCTOBER 15, 2013
OCTOBER 16, 2013
1. 78 FR 62317, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), [Docket No. PF13-17-000], Clarksville Gas and Water, ACTION: Notice of Intent To Prepare an Environmental Assessment for the Planned Interconnect Pipeline Project, Request for Comments on Environmental Issues, and Notice of Public Scoping Meeting.
2. 78 FR 62319, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), [Docket No. PF13-14-000], Golden Pass Products, LLC, Golden Pass Pipeline, LLC, ACTION: Notice of Intent To Prepare an Environmental Assessment for the Planned Golden Pass LNG Export Project and Golden Pass Export Pipeline Project, Request for Comments on Environmental Issues, and Notice of Public Scoping Meeting.
3. 78 FR 62322, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), [Docket No. AD13-9-000], Hydropower Regulatory Efficiency Act of 2013, ACTION: Notice of Rescheduled Two-Year Licensing Process Workshop.
OCTOBER 17, 2013
OCTOBER 18, 2013
4. 78 FR 62337, Presidential Documents, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, Proclamation 9041 of October 11, 2013, Title 3-- The President Columbus Day, 2013 By the President of the United States of America, A Proclamation.
5. 78 FR 62347, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), [Project No. 2387-002], The City of Holyoke Gas & Electric Department, ACTION: Notice of Intent To File License Application, Filing of Pre-Application Document, and Approving Use of the Traditional Licensing Process.