A rugged, whitewater river flowing northward through deep canyons, the New River is among the oldest rivers on the continent. New River Gorge National River in West Virginia encompasses over 70,000 acres of land along the New River, is rich in cultural and natural history, and offers an abundance of scenic and recreational opportunities.
Big Southern Butte is one of two domes rising from a sea of basalt near the center of the eastern Snake River Plain in Idaho. The butte is one of the largest volcanic domes in the world, but at 300,000 years old it is also one of the youngest. Hikers who trek to the 7,550-foot high summit are rewarded with spectacular panoramic views. Photo by Devin Englestead, BLM Upper Snake Wildlife Biologist.
First light at Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge in New Mexico. Established in November 22, 1939, the refuge has provided a critical stopover and wintering spot for thousands of sandhill cranes, geese and other waterfowl for 75 years. Bosque del Apache's sandhill crane population has multiplied from 18 birds in the 1840s to more than 20,000 birds today. Photo by Kim Hang Dessoliers (www.sharetheexperience.org).
Below is the weekly list of Items of Interest to the Department of the Interior. This list includes items appearing in the during the week of October 14-18, 2013. If you have any questions or wish to receive full-text copies of any of the items on this list, please contact Interior Library by phone at (202) 208-5815, e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person or by mail at 1849 C Street, NW, MS 1151, Washington, DC 20240.
OCTOBER 14, 2013
OCTOBER 15, 2013
OCTOBER 16, 2013
1. 78 FR 62317, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), [Docket No. PF13-17-000], Clarksville Gas and Water, ACTION: Notice of Intent To Prepare an Environmental Assessment for the Planned Interconnect Pipeline Project, Request for Comments on Environmental Issues, and Notice of Public Scoping Meeting.
2. 78 FR 62319, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), [Docket No. PF13-14-000], Golden Pass Products, LLC, Golden Pass Pipeline, LLC, ACTION: Notice of Intent To Prepare an Environmental Assessment for the Planned Golden Pass LNG Export Project and Golden Pass Export Pipeline Project, Request for Comments on Environmental Issues, and Notice of Public Scoping Meeting.
3. 78 FR 62322, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), [Docket No. AD13-9-000], Hydropower Regulatory Efficiency Act of 2013, ACTION: Notice of Rescheduled Two-Year Licensing Process Workshop.
OCTOBER 17, 2013
OCTOBER 18, 2013
4. 78 FR 62337, Presidential Documents, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, Proclamation 9041 of October 11, 2013, Title 3-- The President Columbus Day, 2013 By the President of the United States of America, A Proclamation.
5. 78 FR 62347, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), [Project No. 2387-002], The City of Holyoke Gas & Electric Department, ACTION: Notice of Intent To File License Application, Filing of Pre-Application Document, and Approving Use of the Traditional Licensing Process.