Located 2,600 miles southwest of Hawaii, the National Park of American Samoa is the most remote unit of the National Park System and the U.S. National Park south of the Equator. The Park spreads across three islands, 9,500 acres of tropical rainforest, and 4,000 acres of ocean, including coral reefs. While remote, the islands of American Samoa, true to the meaning of the word Samoa (Islands of Sacred Earth), are welcoming and offer beautiful landscapes and centuries of culture and history.
Seasoned backpacker and adventurer Yang Lu earned the grand prize in the 2015 Share the Experience photo contest with this image of a sunburst captured at sunrise in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Utah. Yang has made the outdoors part of his daily life and finds deep connection to the land through his lens.
“My photography is not just for recreation, it is to inspire people to explore these areas." -- Yang Lu
Photo by Yang Lu (www.sharetheexperience.org).
The plantings of cherry trees originated in 1912 as a gift of friendship to the People of the United States from the People of Japan. In Japan, the flowering cherry tree, or "Sakura," is an exalted flowering plant. The beauty of the cherry blossom is a potent symbol equated with the evanescence of human life and epitomizes the transformation of Japanese culture throughout the ages.
Below is the weekly list of Federal Register Items of Interest to the Department of the Interior. This list includes items appearing in the Federal Register during the week of October 29-November 2, 2012. If you have any questions or wish to receive full-text copies of any of the items on this list, please contact Interior Library by phone at (202) 208-5815, e-mail at Library@nbc.gov, or in person or by mail at 1849 C Street, NW, MS 1151, Washington, DC 20240.
OCTOBER 29, 2012
1. 77 FR 65542, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technical Advisory Committee (HTAC), ACTION: Notice of Open Meeting.
2. 77 FR 65547, Notices, ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY (EPA), [FRL-9747-5], Reissuance of the NPDES General Permits for Oil and Gas Exploration Facilities on the Outer Continental Shelf and Contiguous State Waters in the Beaufort Sea and on the Outer Continental Shelf in the Chukchi Sea, AK, ACTION: Notice of availability of final NPDES general permits.
3. 77 FR 65574, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (DOI) United States Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), [FWS-R6-R-2012-N239; FF06R06000 134 FXRS1265066CCP0], Lake Andes National Wildlife Refuge Complex, Lake Andes, SD; Draft Comprehensive Conservation Plan and Environmental Assessment, ACTION: Notice of availability; announcement of meeting; request for comments.
4. 77 FR 65576, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (DOI) National Park Service (NPS), [NPS-WASO-CONC-11166; 2410-OYC], Notice of Continuation of Concession Contract, ACTION: Notice.
OCTOBER 30, 2012
5. 77 FR 65673, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE (DOC) National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), RIN 0648-XC322, Endangered Species; File No. 16248, ACTION: Notice; receipt of application.
6. 77 FR 65676, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), [Project No. 14447-000], L.S. Starrett Company; Notice of Application Accepted for Filing With the Commission, Intent To Waive Scoping, Soliciting Motions To Intervene and Protests, Ready for Environmental Analysis, Soliciting Comments, Terms and Conditions, and Recommendations, and Establishing An Expedited Schedule for Processing.
7. 77 FR 65681, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) Western Area Power Administration, Boulder Canyon Project--Post-2017 Resource Pool, ACTION: Notice of proposed marketing criteria.
8. 77 FR 65710, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT Office of the Chief Information Officer, [Docket No. FR-5603-C-74], Notice of Submission of Proposed Information Collection to OMB; Indian Housing Block Grants (IHBG) Program Reporting, ACTION: Notice; correction.
9. 77 FR 65712, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (DOI) Assistant Secretary for Indian Affairs Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), Osage Negotiated Rulemaking Committee, ACTION: Notice of meetings.
OCTOBER 31, 2012
10. 77 FR 65864, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE (DOC) National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), RIN 0648-XC289, Receipt of an Application for Incidental Take Permit (16230), ACTION: Supplemental Notice of receipt of application for incidental take permit; availability of draft conservation plan.
11. 77 FR 65902, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (DOI) Office of the Secretary Office of Budget, Proposed Renewal of Information Collection: Payments in Lieu of Taxes, ACTION: Notice and request for comments.
12. 77 FR 65903, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (DOI) Geological Survey, [GX.13.GG00.99600.00], Agency Information Collection Activities: Comment Request, ACTION: Notice of an extension of an information collection (1028-0051).
13. 77 FR 65904, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (DOI) Bureau of Land Management (BLM), [LLNM940000. L1420000.BJ0000], Notice of Filing of Plats of Survey, New Mexico, ACTION: Notice of filing of plats of survey.
14. 77 FR 65905, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (DOI) Bureau of Land Management (BLM), [LLCAC069 L1711.0000 AL.0000 025B], Notice of Public Meeting of the Carrizo Plain National Monument Advisory Council, ACTION: Notice of public meeting.
15. 77 FR 65905, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (DOI) Bureau of Land Management (BLM), [LLCAD01000 L12200000.AL 0000], Meeting of the California Desert District Advisory Council.
16. 77 FR 65905, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (DOI) Bureau of Land Management (BLM), [LLOR-936000-L14300000-ET0000; HAG12-0229; OROR-46473], Notice of Proposed Withdrawal Extension and Opportunity for Public Meeting; OR, ACTION: Notice.
17. 77 FR 65906, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (DOI) National Park Service (NPS), [NPS-PWR-MIIN-11234; 9360-726], Minor Boundary Revision at Minidoka National Historic Site, ACTION: Notification of boundary revision.
18. 77 FR 65929, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (DOT) Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), Notice of Final Federal Agency Actions on the Tappan Zee Hudson River Crossing Project in New York, ACTION: Notice of Limitation on Claims for Judicial Review of Actions by FHWA and Other Federal Agencies.
NOVEMBER 1, 2012
19. 77 FR 66077, Notices, ADVISORY COUNCIL ON HISTORIC PRESERVATION, Notice of ACHP Quarterly Business Meeting, ACTION: Notice.
NOVEMBER 2, 2012
20. 77 FR 66185, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR (DOI) Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE), [Docket No. BOEM-2012-0086], Environmental Assessment for Potential Commercial Wind Lease Issuance and Site Assessment Activities on the Atlantic Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Offshore Massachusetts, ACTION: Notice of the availability of an environmental assessment.
21. 77 FR 66215, Notices, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (DOT) Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), Limitation of Claims Notice for Judicial Review of Actions by FHWA and Other Federal Agencies in the City of Cincinnati, Hamilton County, OH and the City of Covington, Kenton County, KY, ACTION: Notice of limitation on claims for judicial review of actions by FHWA and other federal agencies.
22. 77 FR 66353, Presidential Documents, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, Executive Order 13629 of October 26, 2012, Title 3-- The President Establishing the White House Homeland Security Partnership Council, Part IV.