A rugged, whitewater river flowing northward through deep canyons, the New River is among the oldest rivers on the continent. New River Gorge National River in West Virginia encompasses over 70,000 acres of land along the New River, is rich in cultural and natural history, and offers an abundance of scenic and recreational opportunities.
The U.S. Department of the Interior Publishing Council was chartered on
October 5, 1994. The Publishing Council recommends policies and procedures, coordinates research, and provides guidelines. The Publishing Council also advises the Director, Office of Information Resources Management; the Director, Office of Communications; and/or their respective designees. The Publishing Council may originate management issues concerning the Department-wide printing and publishing program effort and will respond through the Department on related matters presented from outside sources.
• Empower Bureau printing offices to manage their printing programs.
• Work, interact, and exchange information and ideas in managing printing programs.
• Periodically review Departmental publishing policies and procedures to determine program effectiveness and recommend changes.
• Explore ways and means to share resources throughout the Department.
• Collectively explore emerging, innovative technologies and recommend Department-wide adoption.
• Assist and establish educational, training, and career development programs within the publishing community.
• Represent the Department on the Inter-Agency Printing Council accomplishments.
• Developed a Charter for the Publishing Council.
• Recommended revisions to the Departmental Manual, Part 314, "Printing and Publications" and rewrote chapters (approved by the Office of Information Resources Management and the Office of Communications).
• Developed a Department-wide desk guide for printing specialists.
• Developed Bureau review processes (approved by the Office of Communications).
• Developed an overview presentation titled Steward and Custodian of Departmental Printing, a Strategic Plan, and establishing and approval memorandums, which are all available below.
• Developed the DOI Copier Blanket Purchase Agreement for Multi-functional Devices, savings over the first five years was $9.2 million.