Visit Arches and discover a landscape of contrasting colors, landforms and textures unlike any other in the world. The park has over 2,000 natural stone arches, in addition to hundreds of soaring pinnacles, massive fins and giant balanced rocks. This red rock wonderland will amaze you with its formations, refresh you with its trails, and inspire you with its sunsets.
A rugged, whitewater river flowing northward through deep canyons, the New River is among the oldest rivers on the continent. New River Gorge National River in West Virginia encompasses over 70,000 acres of land along the New River, is rich in cultural and natural history, and offers an abundance of scenic and recreational opportunities.
Denali is six million acres of wild land, bisected by one ribbon of road. Travelers along it see the relatively low-elevation taiga forest give way to high alpine tundra and snowy mountains, culminating in North America's tallest peak, 20,310' Denali. Wild animals large and small roam un-fenced lands, living as they have for ages. Solitude, tranquility and wilderness await.
DOINews: SC CSC Releases New Strategic Science Plan for 2013-2018
The South Central Climate Science Center's first Strategic Science Plan for 2013-2018 describes the role of the SC CSC among partners and stakeholders and establishes science priorities that the SC CSC will address through research.
The Science Priorities identified in the Strategic Science Plan include:
1. Climate Change Adaptation, Mitigation, Resiliency, and Vulnerability Assessments
2. Climate Change Effects on Ecosystems
3. Hydrologic Response to Climate Change
4. Climate Change Effect on Human Populations, Socioeconomics, Urbanization, Cultural Resources, and Agricultural Issues
5. Improved Monitoring Networks for Resources Affected by Climate Change and Management Actions
6. Improved Management and Sharing of Climate Change and Geospatial Data
7. Imperiled and Rare Communities and Invasive Species
8. Coastal Response to Sea-Level Rise and Changing Geomorphology
9. Biological Response to Climate Change and Disturbance, Conservation Design and Delivery