Employee Benefits at Interior
The U.S. Department of the Interior's greatest resource is its people. To help employees have a challenging career while balancing their work and family life, we offer comprehensive, competitive and flexible benefits.
- Time Off
- Health Care
- Life Insurance
- Employee Programs
- Quality of Life
- Holidays: 10 paid holidays a year
- Vacation: 2 1/2 weeks of annual leave per year, to start
- Sick time: 2 1/2 weeks of sick leave per year, to start
- Family and medical leave
- Paid military, jury and bereavement leaves
Note: Unused annual leave can be accumulated and carried over from year to year, for a maximum of 6 weeks "banked" annual leave. Unused sick leave is carried over from year to year, with no maximum.
- Medical Care: The federal government offers numerous medical insurance options, including (but not limited to) preferred provider organizations (PPOs) and health maintenance organizations (HMOs) covering employees and eligible dependents.
- Dental: Many health plan options offer dental coverage.
- Vision: Many health plan options offer vision coverage.
- On-site Health Units: Some departmental locations have health care units on-site.
The federal government offers numerous group life insurance policy options covering employees and eligible dependents.
The current federal retirement system is one of the premier retirement programs in the country. This flexible, portable system features three retirement components: a retirement pension; a thrift-savings plan (employee controlled investment program); and social security.
- Service Awards
- Wellness Programs
- Recreational programs
- Employee Assistance Program
- Career Development Program
Quality of Life
- Volunteer program
- Career development
- Alternate work schedule options
- Child care facilities (at some locations)
- Employee Assistance Program (employee counseling)
- Relocation program (for placement in some positions)
- Fitness center (at some locations)
- Education assistance: On-the-job and formal training, as well as tuition assistance/reimbursement
- Educational seminars and cultural events (at some locations)
- Free or paid parking (at most locations)
- Full-service cafeteria and snack bars (at some locations)
- Library (at Main Interior Building, Washington DC)
- ATM machines (at Main Interior Building, Washington DC)
- Mail service center (at Main Interior Building, Washington DC)
- Dry cleaner (at Main Interior Building, Washington DC)
- Convenience store (at Main Interior Building, Washington DC)
- Recreation Association (at Main Interior Building, Washington DC)