America's Great Outdoors Initiative
The Office of Policy Analysis provided support for the President's America's Great Outdoors (AGO) Initiative. Policy Analysis staff supported the interagency effort to draft the AGO report, including developing the Summary of Federal Government Programs in the report (Appendix C). More information about the AGO and the full report can be found at AGO website. http://americasgreatoutdoors.gov.
The Adaptive Management Working Group
The Office of Policy Analysis staffs the Assistant Secretary - Policy, Management, and Budget who chairs Interior's Adaptive Management Working Group, which includes representatives of Interior's bureaus and offices, in developing an Adaptive Management guidebook, training programs, and web site.
The Working Group's ongoing products include:
- Identifying the conditions appropriate for using Adaptive Management;
- Identifying legal considerations
- Describing a process for evaluating the effectiveness of Adaptive Management; and
- Providing Adaptive Management case studies and best practices information.
- Developing an Adaptive Management Applications Guide to describe the practice of adaptive management through examples in some thematic areas of importance to DOI, namely climate change, water, energy, and human impacts on the landscape.
The Working Group for the Inter-Agency Recreation Fee Program
The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act provides the legal framework for the National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Reclamation, and U.S. Forest Service to collect recreation fees on lands they manage and use those fees to maintain and enhance recreation facilities and opportunities. The Office of Policy Analysis participates on the inter-agency Working Group that is responsible for implementing the Act.
The Office of Policy Analysis led the Working Group in preparing the 2012 Triennial Report to Congress on Implementation of the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, which was completed in May, 2012.