Contacting A Recent-era Veteran Who is a Wildland Firefighter
The best way is to network in your area, especially if you live in a part of the country that regularly experiences wildland fire. Contact nearby Federal, tribal, or state land-management agencies and talk to the fire management officer (FMO) or the assistant FMO. Mention that you are a recent U.S. military veteran, and that you would like to get in contact with a veteran who has transitioned into wildland firefighting.
Here are a few questions you might ask a veteran working in wildland fire:
- What's it like being on a wildland fire crew?
- What kinds of work does a wildland firefighter do when a big fire is burning —and what happens when there is little or no wildfire activity?
- How will my military experience help me in this field?
- What are some of the biggest differences between the military and wildland firefighting that I'll experience if I'm hired?
- What do you like most about your job?
- How does the job application system work?