2. What Is A Natural Resource Trustee?
|FEDERAL OFFICIAL||designated by the President;|
|STATE OFFICIAL||designated by the Governor;|
|INDIAN OFFICIAL||designated by the governing body of any Indian tribe; and|
|FOREIGN OFFICIAL||designated by the head of any foreign government,|
|who acts on behalf of the public (of the nation, the State, the tribe, or the foreign country) by:|
- participating in National Response System preparedness and response activities intended to avoid or minimize injury to natural resources;
- assessing damages for injury to, destruction of, or loss of natural resources under their trusteeship;
- obtaining compensation from the responsible party for these damages through negotiation or litigation; and
- developing and implementing a plan for restoration of injured resources.