2004 Reg Neg Workshop Agenda
Part 1 - Assessment, Planning, Convening, Contracting and the First Meeting
- Educate the audience on the negotiated rulemaking process, particularly early planning, diagnosis, convening and preparing for first session
- Hear from the participants
- Share DOI and other relevant agency negotiated rulemaking experiences
- Explore ways to increase effectiveness for DOI related issues
- Identify participants’ interest in follow-up activity
- Framing that this is a panel of providers
8:30 AM Welcome, Purpose, Agenda
- CADR/DOI University
8:40 AM ● Who we are, what we do, etc.
- Objectives for this session
- High level agenda
8: 50 AM Overview and Burning Issues:
- Brief overview of 4-5 reg-negs we will be discussing
- Audience call out – what are the issues they would like to have addressed
- Acknowledge this is a panel of providers and we will endeavor to make sure the voice of the user is in the room
9:10 AM What is Negotiated Rulemaking?
- Overview of the Process
- Role of FACA
- Key Players at DOI
9:40 AM Break - 25 mins.
9:50 AM Genesis of the Process
- Internal agency pressures
- External Stakeholders
- Proactive/Reactive responses
- Diagnosing the situation and convening the process
- Internal Assessments
- first diagnosis: by those who recognize a problem/opportunity
- they reach out to others for broader diagnosis
- one question: should consensus-based process be seriously considered/explored
- If yes, what to do next? One option: conflict assessment.
- Conflict Assessment spectrum – variables: formality, depth of stakeholder participation, cost, duration, detail of findings and recommendations
- Internal Assessments
- Convening the process
- Selection of Neutrals
- Importance of contracting and pre-planning
- Roles and responsibilities
11:05 AM Break - 10 mins.
11:15 AM Design of process and first meeting
- Internal agency coordination
- Issue/boundary identification
- Ground rules, commitments and expectations of reg-neg
- What happens if consensus is reached?
- If no consensus is reached or partial consensus is reached what will agency do?
12:10 AM Open Forum
final questions and discussion
12:20 AM Wrap-Up
fill out evaluation forms and suggest follow-up activities or sessions
2:00 – 4:00 PM OPTIONAL AFTERNOON CONFLICT DIAGNOSIS CLINIC
Facilitators will be available in the Rachel Carson room for confidential conversations or to continue a.m. discussions with anyone interested.