Recent Graduates Program
The Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. To be eligible, applicants must apply within two years of degree or certificate completion (except for veterans precluded from doing so due to their military service obligation, who will have up to six years after degree completion to apply). Successful applicants are placed in a dynamic, developmental program with the potential to lead to a civil service career in the Federal Government. The program lasts for 1 year (unless the training requirements of the position warrant a longer and more structured training program). Here are some key provisions of the Recent Graduates Program.
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
- Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree, due to military service obligation, have as much as six years after degree completion to apply.
- The Recent Graduates Program is administered primarily by each hiring agency.
- Each agency must sign a Participant Agreement with the Recent Graduate that sets forth the expectations for the Program.
- When the final Pathways rule takes effect this July, agencies will have to provide OPM with information regarding their opportunities and post information publicly (external link) about how to apply for specific positions.
Training and Development
- Orientation program for Recent Graduates hired for the program.
- Mentorship throughout the program.
- Individual Development Plan to create and track Recent Graduates' career planning, professional development, and training activities.
- At least 40 hours of formal, interactive training each year of the program.
- Positions offer opportunity for career advancement.
After Program Completion
- Recent Graduates may be converted to a permanent position (or, in some limited circumstances a term appointment lasting 1-4 years).
- To be eligible for conversion, Recent Graduates must have:
- Successfully completed at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program.
- Demonstrated successful job performance.
- Met the qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.