Final Policy & Guide
Office of the Secretary
Washington, D.C. 20240
NOV 07 2003
Bureau and Office Heads
Nina Rose Hatfield /s/
Deputy Assistant Secretary – Budget and Finance
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE (GRANTS): GRANTS.GOV FIND AND
STANDARD ANNOUNCEMENT FORMAT - FINAL POLICY
Interim Grants.govFIND policy was issued Departmentwide by memorandum dated
September 15, 2003. The attached final Grants.govFIND policy supersedes the previously issued interim policy.
Grants.gov FIND is the single point of entry for Federal government grant and assistance opportunities. It is authorized under the Federal Financial Assistance Management Improvement Act of 1999, Public Law 106-107, and the E-Gov initiative of the President’s Management Agenda. The purpose of the Grants.gov FIND module is to provide potential applicants with:
1. Enough information about any funding opportunity to decide whether they are interested in viewing the full announcement;
2. Information on one or more ways to obtain the full announcement (e.g., an Internet site, e-mail address or telephone number); and
3. One common Web site for all Federal financial assistance opportunities searchable by key word, date, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA)
number or specific agency name.
As of October 1, 2003, all Federal grant-making agencies were required to participate in this significant endeavor. Applicants may access Grants.gov where they may find announcement information and apply for assistance electronically. Bureaus may continue to provide announcement information through other avenues as appropriate, but must also provide information through Grants.gov FIND in the proper format. For your convenience, the updated Grants.gov FIND User Guide and Federal Register notices are attached. The use of Grants.gov FIND for mandatory program announcements is optional, but encouraged.
Changes from the interim policy dated September 15, 2003, include:
1. The URL for Grants.gov FIND has changed from www.FedGrants.gov to www.Grants.gov;
2. Bureaus/offices may either post the full announcement on their web site and provide a URL link from the Grants.gov FIND synopsis; post the full announcement on Grants.gov FIND; or do both;
3. The exceptions for announcing a grant or cooperative agreement program in Grants.gov FIND have been clarified and changed; and
4. Guidance for programs that are not required to have a Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) number.
A revised Grants.govFIND Standard Format and Data Elements Policy Guide, based on the Controller, Office of Management and Budget’s memorandum to the Heads of Executive Departments and Agencies regarding the standard format and data elements for use with Grants.govFIND is provided in Appendix A.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact Debra Sonderman, Director, Office of Acquisition and Property Management (PAM) on 202-208-6352. Members of your staff may contact Tammy Pataluna, PAM, on 202-208-4080.
Executive Steering Committee
P. L. 106-107 Initiatives Work Group
Interior Federal Assistance Working Group