How to Submit a FOIA Request
A request for records under FOIA must describe them in a way that enables us to identify and retrieve the records with reasonable effort. You can do several things to speed processing time and to minimize fees:
- Check to see that the information you seek is not already available in the Electronic Reading Room or the Report Database.
- Specifically describe the information you seek.
- Narrow your request down to only the records you need.
- Consider whether the OIG is the appropriate office for your request.
The easiest way to submit a request is by using the OIG's online FOIA Request Form. If you choose to submit your request by mail, email, or fax, please include the following:
- Your name and address;
- The telephone number at which you can be reached during normal business hours;
- Your email address;
- A statement agreeing to pay the applicable fees, identifying any desired fee limitation, or requesting a waiver or reduction of fees; and
- Your fee category.
Please send it to:
Office of Inspector General
U.S. Department of the Interior
1849 C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20240
Fax: 202-219-1944 (Attn: FOIA Officer)
Detailed information on submitting a FOIA request is available in the DOI FOIA regulations. If you have questions about submitting your request, you may contact the FOIA Officer at 703-487-5436.