Elevator Safety in the Interior Complex
Whenever we hear of an elevator incident in our community, there is cause to reflect on safety issues in general and elevator safety in particular.
Please review the procedures below which outline the proper steps to take in the event you become entrapped in an elevator.
- First (and, most importantly), try to remain calm.
- Do not attempt to pry the doors open and/or exit the elevator cab. Though being entrapped on an elevator is unnerving, it is much safer to remain in the cab and wait for emergency-response personnel to respond.
- All of our elevators in our buildings have a call button built into the control panel. When this button is depressed, you are placed in contact with the building's 24/7 Security Operations Office. The call button can be identified with a "TELEPHONE" symbol in the Main Interior Building and labeled "HELP" in the South Interior. To see an example, click here. Do not use the red telephones which are located in the passenger elevators; these are only for use by firemen during an emergency and are not manned except by the Fire Department.
- In the rare event the call button does not work, press the alarm button located on the elevator control panel indicated by a "BELL" symbol. To see an example, click here. An audible alarm will ring until the button is released
- When you call from these elevators, you will be asked to provide the name of the building (i.e., Main or South Interior Building), and the elevator cab number (which is posted inside the elevator cab). If possible, please provide the approximate location of the elevator cab (e.g., between the 4th and 5th floors).
- When you have reported the problem to the proper authority, discontinue any unnecessary use of the call button. It may be necessary for emergency-response personnel to call you to give you specific instructions.
Our elevator operation and safety record for the Interior Complex is excellent. We maintain a rigorous maintenance program, with periodic testing and inspections are performed by licensed elevator inspectors from the GSA. Our elevator contractor is on duty from 6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. on government workdays. Should an emergency occur before or after those hours, our elevator contractor is required to respond and be on-site within one hour of notification.
You may contact us through the administrative contact for your bureau or office, the Office of Facilities and Administrative Services service desk on (202) 208-2222, or one of the individuals below: