The Office of Facilities and Administrative Services provides personal property management oversight and services for the Office of the Secretary (OS) nationwide. The Administrative Services Division, Property and Mail Management Branch, coordinates personal property activities with OS Offices and their designated contacts to manage accountable and sensitive personal property; acquire and dispose of excess/surplus furniture and equipment; and provide training on personal property process and procedures.
The following are some of the personal property services provided by this office:
- Manage OS accountable personal property in the Department's Financial and Business Management System (FBMS)
- Issue guidance on personal property accountability. Contact any staff member listed below for hard or electronic copy of latest Property Training Manual.
- Establish and maintain client office listings of Accountable and Custodial Property Officers (APO/CPO). (Note: Offices are required to provide the Property Management Branch with their CPO designees within 30 days following a change or replacement)
- Conduct training for APO/CPO's
- Conduct and maintain personal property inventories
- Perform management control reviews for property accountability
- Provide excess furniture and/or purchase of new/used furniture thru GSA surplus
- Disposal of surplus furniture
- Recycle computers and other equipment (Note: Before disposal of computer equipment, all hard drives are to be completely erased and sanitized of official government records. For questions on erasing hard drives, contact your IT Service provider)
- Provide Property Pass Authorization
- Do not place surplus furniture or equipment in the hallways
- Disposal of surplus furniture and equipment must be coordinated through Administrative Contacts
- Disposal of large volume of surplus furniture and equipment may require contract labor support (see moving services page on contract request and job assessment)
- Provide 2 business days notice to schedule removal of surplus furniture and equipment
- Clearly label furniture and equipment as surplus
- Contact this office to arrange for proper disposal of refrigerators and microwaves
If you need assistance, please contact the OFAS Service Desk at (202) 208-2222 or one of the individuals below.
Phone: (202) 208-1377
Phone: (202) 208-3307
Phone: (202) 208-3225
Phone: (202) 208-4682