Photos: AMERICA’S GREAT OUTDOORS: Salazar Announces Important Land Acquisition in Gettysburg National Military Park
March 28, 2011
GETTYSBURG, PA -- Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar announced today that the National Park Service has acquired 95 acres of the former Gettysburg Country Club property to preserve as part of the Gettysburg National Military Park. The former country club land - now known by its historic name, the Emanuel Harman Farm - is where major fighting occurred on the first day of battle on July 1, 1863.
Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar, NPS Director Jon Jarvis, Gettysburg National Military Park Superintendent Bob Kirby, and Conservation Fund Representative Dan Sakura commemorate the acquisition of new land the Gettysburg National Military Park. Photo by Tami A. Heilemann-Office of Communications
“Gettysburg will always have a sacred place in America’s heritage for the pivotal role it played in our nation’s history and for the enormity of the sacrifice that took place here,” Secretary Salazar said. “With the addition of the Emanuel Harman Farm to the Gettysburg National Military Park, we are able to include another important chapter in the story that helped shape our country.” Photo by Tami A. Heilemann-Office of Communications
Founder and Chairman Emeritus of the Conservation Fund Patrick F. Noonan presents the official document to Secretary Salazar and Director Jarvis proclaiming that the 95-acre farm is now a part of the Gettysburg National Military Park. Photo by Tami A. Heilemann-Office of Communications
Gettysburg National Military Park Supervisory Historian D. Scott Hartwig shows the Secretary the newly-acquired land on a map. Photo by Tami A. Heilemann-Office of Communications