Federal Property, Accountability, and Management
LawsThe Federal Property and Administrative Services Act of 1949, as amended
- Establishes uniform procedures for the procurement and supply of personal property and nonpersonal services, including related functions such as contracting, inspection, storage, specifications, property identification and classification, transportation, and traffic management.
- Establishes procedures for the use of available property, the disposal of surplus property, and records management.
RegulationsPublic Contracts and Property Management, 41 CFR 10
Federal Acquisition Regulations
Part 1. “General Structure”
Part 2. “Definitions of Words and Terms”
U.S. Office of Government Ethics
Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Executive Branch, 5 CFR 2635
Other Standards and PoliciesFederal Accounting Standards Advisory Board
Statement of Federal Financial Accounting Standards #29 (2005), “Heritage Assets and Stewardship Land”
- Changes the classification of information reported for heritage assets and stewardship land in SFFAS No. 8 Supplementary Stewardship Reporting.
- Reclassifies all heritage assets and stewardship land information as basic except for condition information, which is reclassified as required supplementary information.
- Requires that Federal agencies disclose information about heritage assets and stewardship land as a note on the balance sheet, but without an asset dollar amount. Instead, the note disclosure must provide a description of major categories of heritage assets, physical units added and withdrawn during the year, a description of the methods of acquisition and withdrawal, and condition information. DOI museum collections are considered to be heritage assets.
- Requires additional reporting disclosures regarding Federal agency stewardship policies and the relevance of heritage assets to the agency mission.
U.S. Department of Defense
Base Redevelopment and Realignment Manual, C6.1.2 “Definition of Personal Property”
U.S. Department of the Interior, Office of Acquisition and Property Management
Personal Property Management Program
Property Accountability and AccountingGeneral Services Administration
Federal Personal Property Policies, ”Property Accountability Definition”
Know Net 2
Federal Personal Property Management Desk Reference and Training Course
National Park Service
Personal Property Management
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association
Personal Property Management, “Accountable Officer Definition"
Funding and BudgetingAmerican Council on Education
A Brief Guide to the Federal Budget and Appropriations Process
Congressional Research Service
A Brief Introduction to the Federal Budget Process
Institute of Museum and Library Services
National Endowment for the Arts
National Endowment for the Humanities
National Park Service
National Science Foundation
Northern States Conservation Center
Collections Caretaker, “Grants for Collections Care”