Interior's International Activities
Office of International Affairs
The Office of International Affairs of the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI) facilitates, supports and coordinates international activities of the Department to advance the Department's mission and support complementary U.S. foreign policy priorities. The Office conducts the following activities:
- Coordinates international activities involving more than one bureau.
- Identifies international policy issues relevant to the Department, consults with Departmental and Bureau experts, analyzes and facilitates the development of the Department's policy positions.
- Initiates and coordinates efforts to marshal the Department's expertise in support of complementary U.S. foreign policy priorities.
- Serves as principal contact for requests from outside the Department for international cooperation and provides guidance in responding to requests.
- Represents the Department in interagency forums on international issues and in international diplomatic meetings that are relevant to the Department's mission or that can benefit from Departmental expertise.
- Reviews Departmental and Bureau agreements with foreign countries.
- Promotes and facilitates the provision of technical assistance to foreign countries from experts within the Department and its bureaus, and coordinates with bureaus to maximize the extent to which such efforts further United States Government, Department and bureau policies and objectives.
- Develops and implements projects to provide technical assistance to foreign countries in areas of Departmental expertise, pursuant to agreements with other Federal agencies, international organizations or foreign governments consistent with the Foreign Assistance Act, 22 United States Code Chapter 32, as amended.
- Facilitates coordination and sharing of information among Departmental and Bureau international staff, including by chairing regular meetings of the International Activities Liaison Committee composed of the chiefs of the international offices of the Bureaus.
The Office of International Affairs is housed within the Office of the Secretary of the Interior and reports to the Assistant Secretary for Policy, Management and Budget (PMB). The Assistant Secretary for PMB is designated to act for the Secretary to analyze, develop and review Department policy and programs pertaining to international activities; to serve as focal point and principal contact for requests from outside the Department for international cooperation; to coordinate international activities involving more than one program area; to represent the Department on interagency or other mechanisms dealing with such activities; and to review foreign travel of all Departmental employees to assure consistency with Departmental guidance and appropriateness in light of international political conditions.