On September 24, 2013, Congress approved the realignment of Interior Business Center’s (IBC) Information Technology Directorate (ITD) and Customer Support Center (CSC) business units to the Office of Chief Information Officer (OCIO). This realignment is consistent with the intent of Secretarial Order 3309 (Information Technology Management Functions and Establishment of Funding Authorities). As a result, on October 1, 2013, the U.S. Department of the Interior’s OCIO assumed management responsibility for the services provided by IBC’s ITD and CSC.
- Provide a reliable, responsive, and affordable processing environment for our customers with an emphasis on quality of service.
- Maintain a stable, highly skilled workforce to deliver premier support and services.
The Enterprise Infrastructure Division is responsible for providing Data Center management, operations, communications, and customer service support for the automated administrative systems operating at the Interior Business Center. The Division also provides data center services through service bureau relationships with other clients. The IBC is an OMB-designated franchising provider of automated administrative services and Data Center processing services. The IBC Data Center provides customer support 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
In addition to providing computer operations management of its own systems, IBC offers data center application hosting (including Web site hosting) and disaster recovery services to Federal agencies through service bureau relationships. These services include hosting on mainframe, UNIX midtier, and Windows or Linux-based INTEL platforms; a full range of storage options; data communications; and customer support.
IBC operates data centers in Denver, CO and the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and can provide hosting and/or disaster recovery services in either location. For customers with high availability requirements, their applications can also be load balanced across the two centers as two active production instances, or managed in a Production/Disaster Recovery failover configuration between the two centers.
All IBC data center hosting services provide the following characteristics:
- Security - Physical and logical security management within a fully Certified and Accredited General Support System infrastructure, including: 24x7 video monitoring, personnel background investigations, Intrusion Protection Systems (network and host), virus protection, regular vulnerability scans and external assessments.
- Availability - 24x7 on-site customer support, around the clock technical support, active data backup and Disaster Recovery Program, formal problem and change management programs.
- Reliability - Uninterruptible Power Supply, diesel generator backup power, dual/failover power feeds to equipment, redundancy in air conditioning and humidity control equipment and a complete set of alarms and monitors
- Maintainability - Internal redundancy within strategic server and data storage equipment, high speed self-healing network connectivity with redundant service feeds, automated "health and well being" monitoring on servers, communications devices and data bases.
IBC has operated computer facilities for over 20 years and has a full range of operating procedures and management controls. Internal controls within the IBC IT environment are validated through FISCAM and SAS-70 Type II audits each year.
The IBC IT Directorate is always happy to respond to customer inquiries and to provide proposals and quotes for new or extended services. For additional information on services available through the IBC IT Directorate, please contact Ed Crump, Acting Associate Director for Information Technology Directorate, at (703) 487-3833 or through E-mail at Edmund_M_Crump@nbc.gov.