The Department of the Interior’s Interior Business Center provides human resources operational support through its Human Resources Operations Division. Human Resources services and support can be provided in one of two ways: day-to-day operational support or project support. Services can be customized to meet your agency's needs. Please click on the following services to learn more:
For further information, please call 303-969-7200
Organization and Position Management
Interior Business Center provides support to customer management in the area of organization and position management to help management design, develop, and implement organization and position structures and to accurately describe and legally classify customer positions. This includes:
- Classification: Interior Business Center consults with customer management on developing any necessary position descriptions and classifying positions within established parameters. Interior Business Center staff conducts desk audits when required to classify positions or in response to position reviews. Interior Business Center provides assistance to customer management and staff for classification appeals and help adjudicate appeals in conformance with agency and OPM policy. Classification activity includes position sensitivity designations, FLSA determinations, identification of financial disclosure requirements, etc.
- Oversight: As part of the consultative function, Interior Business Center performs an oversight role and helps clarify and advise on classification issues as necessary.
- Position Management: Interior Business Center advises customer management on organizational structure planning and required implementation activities.
Management officials play an active role in describing position duties when developing position descriptions for classification by Interior Business Center. Interior Business Center staff also works closely with management officials in position sensitivity designations.
Interior Business Center has qualified staff to assist and guide agency management through the evaluation, analysis, coordination and implementation of an agency’s staff acquisition strategy and/or staff acquisition plan. Interior Business Center also provides staff recruitment/application services and can manage the process from start to finish.
Interior Business Center works with customer managers in recruiting and selecting high-quality, productive employees with the right skills and competencies, in accordance with merit system principles. This includes:
- Recruitment: Interior Business Center enables the recruitment process by having an understanding of the organization’s strategic and operational goals in support of the customer’s mission. We discuss with customer managers the best and most effective approach to reach the target audience.
- Staffing: Interior Business Center prepares vacancy announcements with input from the customer hiring manager, advertise vacancies on USAJobs and any other identified outside recruitment sources (at the customer’s expense), and responds to applicant inquiries. Positions are staffed using a variety of appointment methods, including merit promotion, delegated examining (customers will need to provide copy of delegated examining authority from OPM), excepted service appointments, and non-competitive appointment authorities, as appropriate for the position being filled. Applications are reviewed for basic qualifications, rated and ranked, and certified to management. Interior Business Center works with customer management on the selection process and offers advice and consultation in determining the terms of offer. Interior Business Center extends job offers to selectees.
- Reporting: Interior Business Center submits required reports, such as the Delegated Examining Unit reports and 80-day Hiring Model reports, for the customer as required. Other staff acquisition reports and data are provided to the customer as requested.
Customer management officials play an active role in identifying evaluation/assessment criteria and tools and similar evaluation methodology related to recruitment activity. It is also assumed that for those positions in which customer managers and employees serve as rating panel members and/or subject matter experts (SME), that they will be committed to meeting internal established time frames.
Interior Business Center works with customer management and provides advisory and oversight services for all phases of the customer’s performance management system and processes. Services include advising management on the development of performance standards, the issuance of performance appraisals, and management advisory services in the area of performance-based actions.
Interior Business Center works with customer management to implement compensation programs that attract, retain, and fairly compensate employees. This includes:
- Pay Setting: Interior Business Center works with customer management to set pay for new appointees, transfers, etc. in accordance with customer pay administration provisions.
- Compensation: Interior Business Center advises customer management and employees on compensation matters, including any customer award programs. This includes the annual adjustment of salary, processing cash awards, incentives, severance pay administration, etc.
- Unemployment Compensation: Interior Business Center counsels employees on their entitlements to unemployment compensation.
Interior Business Center provides support in the area of benefits management as follows:
- Notification and Counseling: Interior Business Center notifies customer employees of benefits issues of interest, to include open seasons and program changes for FEHB, FEDVIP, FEGLI, Long Term Care, FSA etc.; counsel employees and family members one-on-one on the full-scope of benefits issues; provide retirement counseling; and generate retirement annuity calculations, service deposits/re-deposits, etc.
- Orientation of New Employees: Interior Business Center provides an orientation to new employees so that they understand the benefits and requirements associated with working for the federal government. Interior Business Center assists new employees in completing all necessary entrance documents for entering federal service. Interior Business Center partners with customer management to communicate agency organizational information to new employees to assist in indoctrinating them to the workplace as requested by agency management.
- Carrier Liaison: As required, Interior Business Center liaisons with benefits carriers to resolve issues or obtain information on behalf of customer employees in coordination with the Interior Business Center’s Payroll Operations Division.
- Benefits Action Processing: Interior Business Center processes personnel actions on any personnel or payroll actions resulting from benefits and retirement issues, such as changes in service computation dates based on service deposits, processing of benefits elections, etc.
Interior Business Center provides advisory consultative services in the area of employee relations, to include the following:
- Interior Business Center works with customer management on any employee relations matter, including management advisory services on management approaches, recommendations of disciplinary and adverse actions, drafting correspondence related to employee relations matters to include proposal and decision letters, and consulting on all disciplinary matters.
- Interior Business Center administers the customer’s administrative grievances program, including advising customer management and employees on employee rights and program requirements and possible courses of action.
- Interior Business Center provides advice and oversees requests for reasonable accommodation.
Interior Business Center provides advisory consultative services in the area of labor relations, to include the following:
- Interior Business Center works with customer management on any labor relations matter, including management advisory services on clarifying organization and employees that should be included in the defined bargaining unit, resolving recognition issues, providing notifications and requests to bargain, preparing for negotiation, conducting negotiation in partnership with agency management, reviewing agreements for legality/compliance with government-wide laws, rules, or regulations, and administering agreements. Interior Business Center will administer the customer’s administrative grievances program, including advising customer management and employees on employee rights, program requirements, and possible courses of action.
- Interior Business Center supports agency management in the management of negotiated grievances.
- Interior Business Center supports agency management when participating in negotiated third party proceedings.
Personnel Action Processing and Recordkeeping
Interior Business Center manages and completes personnel actions to document, establish, change, and correct employee records through the full employee life-cycle. Actions include but are not limited to recruitments, position changes, employee status changes, compensation and benefit changes, and separations.
This support area includes processing personnel actions, benefits actions, and pay-related actions; serving as the Security Administrator and Security Point of Contact; submitting required reports; and maintaining human resources records. Specifically:
- Interior Business Center processes the full range of personnel actions for the customer using the Federal Personnel and Payroll System (FPPS). Actions are initiated in FPPS by management (the requesting office) at the agency or through submission of appropriate paperwork. Interior Business Center then processes the actions in accordance with federal law, regulation, and agency policy.
- Interior Business Center inputs other data as required into FPPS. Examples include benefits information, performance appraisal information, payroll actions, etc.
- Interior Business Center maintains the eOPFs or OPFs, Employee Performance Files, and any medical files for customer employees. Personnel actions and other documents for inclusion in the eOPF/OPF and other files will be filed on a regular basis. OPFs are audited on an as needed basis.
- Interior Business Center interfaces with the Interior Business Center’s Payroll Operations Division on behalf of the customer.
- Reports related to human resources data can be generated for management officials on an as needed basis.
- Interior Business Center, as the FPPS Security Administrator and Security Point of Contact, establishes and maintains offices and organizations in FPPS; oversee user-related authorities such as establishing, modifying, and deleting user access and resetting user passwords; and establish personnel action workflow/routing paths.
It is assumed that customer employees will use Employee Express and other employee self-service options (e.g., FSAFeds.gov, Thrift Savings Plan web site, etc.) to the extent possible.
The Interior Business Center’s Personnel Security Branch is responsible for the implementation and maintenance of personnel security and suitability programs as specified by the Office of Personnel Management, Department of the Interior, Office of Law Enforcement and Security (OLES), and other Agency-specific regulations and guidance. Specifically, the Personnel Security Office is responsible for the following:
- Interpretation and application of security and suitability guidelines, policies and procedures
- Initiation, processing and adjudication of employee and contractor background investigations
- Issuance and maintenance of employee and contractor security clearances
- Processing of employee and contractor Homeland Security Presidential Directive-12 (HSPD-12) and Personal Identity Verification (PIV) Cards through USAccess, managed by the General Services Administration (GSA).
The overall objective of the Personnel Security Branch is to ensure an agency’s workforce displays and maintains high, honest and lawful standards of conduct. The Personnel Security Branch focus is to assist agencies in implementing and maintaining a personnel security program that has integrity, unbiased, reliable and trustworthy.
For additional information regarding these programs please contact the Interior Business Center Personnel Security Branch at 303-716-4005.