Who We Are
Located within the Department of the Interior (DOI), the Interior Business Center (formerly the National Business Center) is a federal shared services provider that offers business solutions to create efficiencies and economies of scale for the Department of the Interior as well as other federal agencies.
For over 30 years, the Interior Business Center has supported departmental offices, DOI bureaus, and federal agencies by providing a diverse, yet integrated set of business solutions. Our government workforce of dedicated professionals with extensive knowledge of federal business practices, along with our ability to leverage government and commercial best practices, allows us to serve our customer base of more than 150 government offices and agencies.
Our service offerings are organized into the following lines of business:
- Acquisition - Provides lifecycle assisted acquisition from project inception through contract closeout
- Financial Management - Provides financial management services, including accounting and core financial systems support.
- Human Resources - Delivers a comprehensive set of personnel systems and services, including payroll, drug-free workforce program, and personnel security.
- Indirect Cost - Conducts indirect cost rate negotiations with non-federal entities, tribal governments, and insular governments.
In addition to the four lines of business, we have two supporting business units:
- Customer Support Center - Provides tier 1 support services in information technology, human resources, and financial management.
- Information Technology - Delivers infrastructure, integration, Web development, and IT security services .
The Interior Business Center uses the interagency agreement vehicle, which simplifies the procurement processes for most federal agencies. Our main statutory authority for providing cross agency support is through the Department of the Interior's Working Capital Fund, which was established pursuant to 43 USC 1467 (amended). Acquisition services are provided through the Interior Franchise Fund pursuant to Pub. L. No. 104-208, div. A, tit. I, § 101(d).
The Interior Business Center improves the efficiency and effectiveness of our client agencies by allowing our customers to focus on their core mission.