The DOI Case Studies include Environmental Achievement Awards Recipients and White House Closing the Circle Awards Recipients. The case studies cited below offer innovative approaches to waste management.
The contacts offered on these websites may not be up to date. Employees may have left the Department or transferred to a different bureau or office. If you have questions about a case study and the given contact information was insufficient or old, please contact Katie Chiang in the Office of Environmental Policy and Compliance at Kathleen_Chiang@ios.doi.gov.
Case studies are available for the following subject areas:
- Good and Innovative Solid Waste Management Practices
- Recycling in Remote Areas
- Additional Waste & Pollution Prevention Examples
- Cyrus Brame: Sustainability Hero, Eastern Virginia Rivers National Wildlife Refuge Complex, Fish and Wildlife Service, Virginia
- Kurt Sorenson: Sustainability Hero, Glenallen Field Office, Bureau of Land Management, Alaska
- In-House Conversion to a Paperless on Windows (POW) Audit Environment: Division of Compliance Management, Office of Surface Mining, Washington, DC
- Greening a Railroad Operation: Grand Canyon Railway, Canyon National Park, National Park Service, Arizona
- Ron Thuma: Flint Hills National Wildlife Refuge Recycling Program, Fish and Wildlife Service, Kansas
- Alaska Science Center, U.S. Geological Survey, Anchorage, Alaska
- Xanterra Parks Resorts (Waste Management at the Petrified Forest National Monument, Arizona)
- Lassen Volcanic National Park's Recycling Committee: NPS, Mineral, CA
- Stephen P. Boska: Greening the Potomac River National Wildlife Refuge Complex, FWS, Woodbridge, VA
- Denali National Park and Preserve: It Takes a Team to Be Green. National Park Service, Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska. Environmental Stewardship.
- Roger Lobato: Dedication Makes a Difference for Green Purchasing. Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. National Park Service, Three Rivers, California.
- James Behrmann: Greening Region 6. FWS.
- Patriots Protect America the Beautiful: Pacific Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9431, NPS.
- Don L. Durbin: NPS. Modern Approaches for Dinosaur National Monument.
- Employees at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore: NPS.
- MAR Incorporated: Contractor to the Minerals Management Service
- Mojave National Preserve, National Park Service, Cima, California
- Bryce Canyon National Park, National Park Service, Utah
- Northeast Regional Office Green Team and Rick O. Bennett, Deputy Regional Director, Hadley, Massachusetts, FWS. (Partnership and EMS)
- Yellowstone National Park and Concessioner Employees, Montana and Wyoming Departments of Environmental Quality, and Environmental Protection Agency, Region 8, Environmental Stewardship at Yellowstone National Park and the greater Yellowstone area, Wyoming.
- Death Valley Sustainability Committee, NPS. Recovered: 100 tons in One Year.
- Employees of Yellowstone National Park. NPS.
- Xanterra South Rim LLC – Phantom Ranch, Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
- Dan Thorington: Comprehensive Recycling Program for Alaska Islands and Ocean Visitor Center, Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge, Fish and Wildlife Service, Alaska
- Alaska Peninsula/Becharof National Wildlife Refuge Green Team
- Office Electronic Equipment Recycling Team, Alaska, FWS Charles D. Grant, Regional Environmental Compliance Coordinator
- Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge – White House Achievement Award
- Lady Liberty ... a Symbol of Stewardship
- Kent Bullard. Sharing Stewardship Skills. NPS.
- Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge, FWS. Stewarding the Environment on the Refuge and Beyond
- Green Buildings
DOI has recognized many green buildings which prevent waste and pollution.
- Greening Existing Buildings
- Environmental Management Systems
- EMS' can go beyond compliance with environmental laws and include waste/pollution prevention.