Ways to Reduce
- Set your photocopiers and printers to print on both sides by default.
- Make computer files, not paper files when possible
- Get your address removed from junk mail lists
- Buy in bulk to reduce packaging
- Buy concentrates
- Buy your coffee at a store where you get a discount for using own mug
- Reduce excess packing
- Permanent dishes, napkins, etc.
- Print documents single spaced, even for drafts
- Reusable or canvas bags
- Desk-top trash cans, desk-top compost cans
- Label trashcans as landfills (with picture of landfill) and include cost of depositing trash in landfill
Ways to Reuse
- Reuse envelopes and send them through the mail again whenever possible
- Have each staff person set aside paper that they use on only one side
- Encourage staff to use reusable coffee mugs
- Invest in rechargeable batteries and battery chargers
- Donate leftover food to people or animals
- Reuse corrugated moving boxes internally.
Ways to Recycle
- Have office wide recycling competitions with prizes for whoever reduces/reuses/recycles the most
- Buy "recycled" toner cartridges – you're not recycling if you don't buy recycled
- Use office status reports on recycling and waste reduction rates to let employees know how the office is doing in terms of waste prevention and recycling