Appendix G: DOI Pandemic Vaccine Prioritization Scheme (Interim)
The availability of pandemic influenza vaccine early in a pandemic will be limited in quantity due to the time requires to develop a well-matched pandemic vaccine and by the capacity to produce it. The Federal Government’s strategy for prioritization of vaccines will be targeted to support national pandemic response goals of mitigating pandemic impact on health and minimizing societal and economic disruption.
Draft interagency policy guidance for prioritization of vaccine would divide target groups into tiers. The number of tiers to be vaccinated would depend on the quantity of vaccine which is available. The target groups which would be included in each tier will vary based upon the severity of the epidemic as defined under the categories found in Appendix C of this plan. At the time of publication of the DOI plan, epidemiological modeling and policy coordination activities necessary to complete the prioritization scheme had not be completed.
Bureau and Office Planning for Essential Personnel
To determine Departmental requirements for allocation of vaccine, Bureau and Office pandemic planning shall include identification of personnel who are in the following categories. Some of these categories will include few if any DOI personnel. All personnel counted within the following categories should be designated by their Bureau or Office as either Mission Critical Emergency Employees or Emergency Employees. If employee(s) appear to fit multiple groups, include them in the first group in which they fit in the following list:
- Emergency Services Personnel
- This category includes Emergency Medical Services, fire, law enforcement, and corrections personnel
- Critical Health Personnel
- Those personnel essential to implementing vaccination or other health measures outlined in this plan.
- Key Leadership
- Senior Departmental/Bureau decision makers responsible for coordination of pandemic response activities addressed in this plan.
- Energy, Communications and Water Sector Personnel
- Personnel who perform critical functions for products/services in these sectors.
- This category is of specific concern to BOR and certain CIO activities, but may include others.
- Critical Personnel for Operational or Regulatory Activities Related to Critical Infrastructure that Protects Health and Safety or Preserves Security
- Personnel who directly support activities for other sectors under the National Infrastructure Protection Plan.
- Critical Community Social Service Personnel
- This category may include certain BIA personnel and Critical Incident Management Stress (CISM) Teams.
- Critical Homeland and National Security
- Those critical personnel supporting border protection or intelligence activities only.
- Law enforcement personnel should be reported in Category 1 above.
- Other Critical Personnel
- COOP team members not already included in any of the categories listed above.
- Other Homeland Security Personnel
- This category includes all other DOI personnel supporting National Response Plan or emergency management activities that are not included above.
- Other Important Health Care Personnel
- This category is a very limited group within DOI, and includes those health care workers who have less occupational risk in being exposed, including pharmacists, laboratory personnel.
Prioritization of Other Personnel in the General Workforce
Groups that are of high risk for severe and fatal infection in past pandemics differ by age or susceptibility factors. Although it is not yet known whether vaccine may become available via employee health offices for members of the general workforce, Bureaus only are requested to estimate the size of their workforce, not including employees designated under the Bureau and Office Planning for Essential Personnel section above, which will meet the following criteria at any given time:
- Pregnant women
- Employees with infants less than 6 months old in their household
- High risk employees age 18-64 with chronic medical conditions 6
- Employees age 65 and older
- Other employees age 18-64