U.S. Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
As part of the U.S. National Action Plan for the Open Government Partnership, the U.S. is committing to implementing EITI, which requires governments to publicly disclose their revenues from oil, gas, and mining assets, and for companies to make parallel disclosures regarding payments. By signing onto the global standard that EITI sets, the U.S. Government can help ensure that American taxpayers are receiving every dollar due for the extraction of these valuable public resources.
The National Action Plan states, "The Administration has already made important strides in reforming the management of our natural resources….Signing onto the EITI initiative will further these objectives by creating additional 'sunshine' for the process of collecting revenues from natural resource extraction….and enhancing the accountability and transparency of our revenue collection efforts."
- White House BLOG - Sunshine Week: In Celebration of Transparency (March 14, 2013)
- Press Release - U.S. Department of the Interior Hosts First Meeting of the U.S. Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative Multi-Stakeholder Group (February 14, 2013)
- DOI News: USEITI Advisory Committee First Meeting (1/29/13)
- Secretary Salazar Appoints Members to the U.S. Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative Committee (12/21/12)
- Other News
USEITI Stakeholder Outreach
- USEITI Stakeholder Assessment (PDF)
- USEITI Public Comment Period: May 18 - June 29, 2012 (MORE)
- USEITI Public Comment Period: February 25 – April 9, 2012 (MORE)
Learn More about EITI and the Open Government Partnership