NW CSC Education and Training Services
To promote broad participation and support education of diverse young scientists in the work of the NW CSC.
The Northwest Climate Science Center (NW CSC) provides Education and Training Services to deliver science-based knowledge and informal educational programs to the larger community, enabling people to participate in the ongoing climate change dialogue and make practical decisions related to the social and economic development of the Northwest. The NW CSC also supports graduate students and post-doctoral researchers in their efforts to become the next generation of climate scientists and educators. To read more about Education and Training Services at the NW CSC, please download the Education and Training Services section of the Strategic Plan by clicking here.
Northwest CSC Education and Training Services Accomplishments to-date:
- Adoption of an Education and Training Strategy for 2013-2015.
- Education and Training Services aim to develop and sustain a corps of early-career climate science and resource management researchers. As of Fiscal Year 2013, the NW CSC supports eight graduate fellows, located at Oregon State University, the University of Idaho, and the University of Washington.
- The NW CSC supports and helps organize the Climate Boot Camp (PDF, 187 KB), a unique, annual week-long training program that brings together graduate students, early-career scientists, and an instructor corps selected from the Northwest network of climate practitioners. The inaugural Climate Boot Camp was held August 7-12, 2011, at the University of Washington's Pack Forest in Eatonville, Washington, with 11 students in attendance. Fifteen students attended the second annual Climate Boot Camp, held August 12-17, 2012, at Oregon State University's H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest in Blue River, Oregon.
- As a result of Climate Boot Camp synergies, students created the Early Career Climate Forum (ECCF), a website run for and by students of climate science and/or cultural and natural resource management. Please click here to proceed to the ECCF website.
- As part of its funding selection process, the NW CSC favors proposals for research projects that involve and support early-career researchers.
<< Back to the NW CSC Strategic Plan
Page Last Updated: July 21, 2014