Secretarial Commission on Indian Trust Administration and Reform
As part of President Obama's commitment to fulfilling this nation's trust responsibilities to Native Americans, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar named five prominent American Indians to a commission to undertake a forward-looking, comprehensive evaluation of Interior's trust management of nearly $4 billion in Native American trust funds.
- Secretarial Order 3292 establishing the framework for the Commission
- Secretarial announcement of the establishment of the Commission
- November 30, 2011 news release, "Salazar Names Members to National Commission on Indian Trust Administration and Reform"
- Commissioners' bios
- Tribal Leaders update on preparations to utilize the Cobell Settlement's Trust Land Consolidation Fund
- Performance Work Statement of the Trust Commission's Management Consultant and timeline for deliverable
The Designated Federal Official is: Sarah Harris, Chief of Staff to the Assistant Secretary - Indian Affairs, Department of the Interior, 1849 C Street NW., Room 3071, Washington, DC 20240.
For inquiries, please direct them to: TrustCommission@ios.doi.gov
78 FR 70959 - Notice of Renewal (11/27/2013) - The Secretary of the Interior is renewing the Commission on Indian Trust Administration and Reform.
Comments / Recommendations to Commission
As the Commission nears the end of its two-year term they appreciate the many ides, recommendations and solutions received to improve the management, administration and delivery of trust services to Indian Country
As announced during the November 20, 2013, public webinar meeting, the Commission invited recommendations and possible solutions for trust management and administration to improve the delivery of services to Indian Country by November 25, 2013. The Commission will review the additional submissions as they prepare the final recommendations.
View "Comments Submitted" to Commission.
Public Webinar Meeting - December 10, 2013 - 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time
The Office of the Secretary is announcing the Secretarial Commission on Indian Trust Administration and Reform will hold a public webinar meeting on December 10, 2013. Because of delays from the Federal government shutdown, the Commission report and recommendations will be discussed and voted on during the December 10 public webinar, and time will be allowed to take public comments.
Members of the public who wish to participate in the December 10, 2013, public webinar meeting should register at the following website by December 9, 2013: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/704255144. Upon your registration, instructions on how to join the meeting will be sent to your email address.
- Federal Register Notice Announcing December 10, 2013 public webinar meeting
- Agenda for December 10, 2013 [to be posted]
- [Final report will be posted prior to the meeting]
Meetings of the Commission - 2013
Click here to "View 2013 ITC Meeting" material:
- Public Webiinar - November 20, 2013
- Public Meeting - August 19, 2013 - Anchorage, AK
- Public Meeting - June 7, 2013 - Oklahoma City, OK
- Public Meeting - April 29, 2013 - Nashville, TN
- Public Meeting - February 12/13, 2013 - Seattle, WA
Meetings of the Commission - 2012
Click here to "View 2012 ITC Meeting" material:
- Public Webinar - November 7, 2012
- Public Meeting - September 13 & 14, 2012 - Bismarck, ND
- Public Webinar - August 13, 2012
- Public Meeting - June 11 & 12, 2012 - Albuquerque, NM
- Public Webinar - May 16, 2012
- Public Meeting - March 1 & 2, 2012 - Washington, DC