Getting Prepared - Phases
There are several things that tribal leaders can do to prepare for the Buy-Back Program. One important activity is to become familiar with the four land consolidation phases. Additional steps that your reservation might pursue are included below, with general steps listed first followed by phase-specific steps.
- Review the Updated Implementation Plan, website content, and offer packet documents.
- Establish a tribal task force or team to plan for land consolidation.Designate an authorized tribal point of contact.
- Provide information to the Buy-Back Program about the tribe's land consolidation programs and current capacities, capabilities, readiness, and interest in the Program (DOI recognizes that some tribes have pursued land consolidation activities for many years).
- Engage with the Buy-Back Program to discuss your current resources and capabilities in areas such as outreach, mapping and land use characterization, appraisal experience.
- Educate owners about (general outreach materials are available to facilitate this effort).
- Identify questions and issues that are frequently raised by owners and share them with the Buy-Back Program.
- Identify individual landowners that are interested in selling their fractional interests.
- Encourage landowners to update their address information by contacting the Trust Beneficiary Call Center at (888) 678-6836.
- Attend general outreach meetings, webinars, or regional events (list of upcoming events is available for reference).
- Work with the Buy-Back Program to exchange GIS data to ensure current mapping of reservation lands, which can facilitate identification of priorities and valuation efforts.
- Determine tribal acquisition priorities (specific tracts of land that are of particular interest for acquisition through the Buy-Back Program).
- Learn about the Buy-Back Program's approach to appraisals.
- Understand the Buy-Back Program's appraisal methodology.
- Review The Appraisal Foundation's report on the Program's appraisal methodology and the Department's response.
- Understand the Program's approach to acquisitions.
- Review the Trust Asset and Accounting Management System (TAAMS) module flowchart outlining the BIA Acquisition Center process.
If you have questions about these activities, please contact the Tribal Relations Team for the Buy-Back Program.