It is a priority for the Department that we work with tribal leaders to ensure that Indian landowners are (a) aware of the Land Buy-Back Program for Tribal Nations (Buy-Back Program), (b) understand the opportunity to sell their fractional interests for the benefit of the tribal community, and (c) have the assistance they need to make informed decisions and complete the process if they chose to sell.
Outreach to individual landowners is critical to the success of the Buy-Back Program. Effective outreach helps to advertise the Program, stimulate land use planning, identify willing sellers, locate owners who are whereabouts unknown (WAU), and determine tribal priorities regarding what type of fractionated tracts tribes wish to have purchased.
We know that tribal leaders and members know best how to reach their citizens. The Department is entering into cooperative agreements that outline the role that tribal governments would like to have in the Program’s implementation. Agreements allow for resources to be provided to each tribal government to facilitate outreach and education, solicit interest from owners, and further identify tribal priorities.
Outreach is a critical piece of the cooperative agreement. Many tribes have the resources and personnel to conduct outreach on their own, but we have provided the following materials in order to better assist you. We will continue to update and add additional materials as they become available.
Please contact the Buy-Back Program if you have any questions.
Public Service Announcements
- Oglala Sioux Tribe of the Pine Ridge Reservation President Bryan Brewer (Video length - 1:47) - View | Download
- Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes Council Member Lloyd Irvine (Audio length - 02:00) - Download
- Assistant Secretary - Indian Affairs Kevin Washburn (Audio length - 00:45) - Download
- Assistant Secretary - Indian Affairs Kevin Washburn (Video length - 04:35) - View | Download
Fact Sheets and Outreach Materials
- Video: The Purchase Offer Process
- Program-wide Outreach Brochure
- Top Things to Know About the Program Fact Sheet
- Appraisal Fact Sheet
- Landowner Frequently Asked Questions
- Acquisition Center Highlights
- Settlement Facts
- Outreach Poster
- Sample Outreach Letter
Purchase Offer Forms and Instructions
Offer Package Documents:
- Cover letter
- Instructions for completing Inventory and Deed
- Exhibit A: Purchasable Interests Inventory Report
- Tract Map(s)
Post Purchase Documents:
Available Upon Request:
Offer Package Guidance:
- How to Complete the Buy-Back Program Deed
- Purchasable Interests Inventory Guidance
- Indian Land Tenure Foundation (ILTF) pamphlet, Informing Indian Landowners On the Land Buy-Back Program